The final reports are in for political contributions for 2008. The Colorado Education Association (CEA) and its affiliates narrowly topped one million dollars in giving to political candidates and parties.
Here are the details:
The Colorado Education Association (CEA) and its affiliates, mostly through Every Member Option funds, have reported $1,000,585 in political contributions during the 2007-08 election cycle – including:
* $452,360 to Democratic candidates and party organizations
* $263,500 to the 527 group Accountability for Colorado to support political candidates — Accountability for Colorado is also funded by liberal billionaires from the “Gang of Four”
* $210,000 to the 527 group Colorado Citizens’ Coalition to support “progressive” political candidates
* $9,250 to Republican candidates and party organizations — that’s 1 dollar to Republicans for every 49 dollars to Democrats
Note: This does not include $4,657,810 contributed to the issue committee Protect Colorado’s Future and $1,600,000 to the issue committee Coloradans for Middle Class Relief to oppose three Colorado state ballot initiatives.
And for AFT:
The American Federation of Teachers (AFT) Colorado has reported $60,275 in political contributions during the current election cycle – including $40,275 to Democratic candidates and party organizations and $0 to Republicans.
As usual, other membership groups that Colorado teachers are eligible to join did not spend any money on the 2008 election because they do not sponsor any committees to fund political action:
- Professional Association of Colorado Educators (PACE) ($0)
- Christian Educators Association International (CEAI) ($0)
- Teachers Legal Coverage (TLC) ($0)
That closes the book on the 2008 election cycle and the roles of different Colorado teacher organizations. Where did your money go this past year?
Tags: Accountability for Colorado, American Federation of Teachers, Christian Educators Association International, Colorado Citizens' Coalition, Colorado Education Association, Democratic, Every Member Option, one million dollars, political action, Political Contributions, Professional Association of Colorado Educators, Republican, Teachers Legal Coverage